Who here loves scrolling through endless photos of festival inspired beauty? There really is no other opportunity like it to go crazy and try trends like glitter and bright colors! I’m heading to Coachella this weekend (it’s my first time ever!) so I thought this was the perfect time to share a festival makeup and hair tutorial with you! Of course I was so excited to show you guys a cool, glittery take on festival beauty, but I also wanted to show you how to make it last through lots of dancing in the desert! Even though this is a festival look, you can use the tips in this post to make any look heat and sweat proof for hot summer days or events like outdoor weddings!
Festival Hair How To
I absolutely love festival hair and spent an afternoon searching through Pinterest for the perfect look! I wanted a hairstyle that would stay put through hours of dancing and the desert heat. After lots of searching, I decided on this gorgeous messy braid with hair rings for a festival inspired edge. Since I really wanted to go all out, I had my my friend Carly, who is an amazing hairstylist (you can check out her work here) help me with this look! I absolutely love how it turned out and would totally wear this look without the hair rings for any occasion!
Excited for Coachella this weekend! 🌵🎡💕It's my first time so I thought I'd film a hair and makeup look for you! @hairbycarlymarie helped me create this hair ring-studded messy braid and I love how it turned out! Tune into my YouTube channel tomorrow at 8AM PST for my full ✨glittery✨ festival makeup tutorial! #festivalmakeup #festivalhair #motd #coachellamakeup #coachella #hairtutorial #hairstyle #fishtailbraid #ouai #Kerastase top: #forever21
To get the look…
- Begin by spraying your hair with hairspray or dry shampoo to give your hair some texture. This will also help your hair to stay in place!
- I wanted my braid to be really full, so first Carly added some clip in extensions. Of course this step is completely optional, but I recommend it if you have thin or short hair!
- Pull your hair to one side (the side opposite of your part usually looks best!) and begin a fishtail braid about halfway from the crown of your head to the nape of your neck. It will begin like a French braid, tight alongside your head. (If you don’t know how to fishtail, don’t worry! This would be just as cool with a regular French braid!)
- Once you’ve reached the end of your hair, secure with a clear elastic.
- Loosen the fishtail by pulling on the outside of the braid (don’t pull them all the way out!) to make it look fuller.
- Add hair rings along the length of the braid. You can find hair rings here!
- Use hairspray to lock in the look! (This is essential to keep you hair sweat proof and in place!)
Glittery Festival Makeup
For my festival makeup, I wanted to start with a soft, romantic base, then added in glittery details to take the look to the next level! You can watch the whole glittery festival makeup tutorial in the video and check out some more tips on how to create a long lasting makeup look!
Sweat Proof Makeup Tips
- Use waterproof products, as they tend to have better staying power (This MAC Pro Longwear Foundation is a great option!)
- Primers will help keep you makeup in place. I use a face primer and an eyeshadow primer to keep my makeup from smudging.
- Apply cream or liquid products like bronzer or highlighter, then go over again with a powder version.
- First use a brow pencil, then set with a powder in the same color and lastly go over with a brow mascara to hold your brows in place.
- Use a damp brush or damp Beauty Blender to lock in your makeup.
- If you’re going for a bold lip, blot and reapply then brush translucent powder over your lips to lock in the color (this will mattify your lipstick!)
- Use translucent powder to finish your look and set your makeup.
Are you going to a music festival this season?